Monday, February 23, 2015

Home for Christmas

We had such a wonderful Christmas in Minnesota.  Even though we barely saw snow, we appreciated the 30 degree weather while we were there.  Last year for Christmas we were driving all over the place and spent the night at five different places in nine nights.  This year, we decided there was no way we were going to do that again and set up camp at my parents' house for the entire trip.  This doesn't mean that we still weren't crazy busy!  First, our second flight was delayed due to a medical issue with a passenger.  We ended up landing over an hour and a half late :(  My sister and her husband picked us up from the airport on their way back from a Christmas party.  We didn't get to bed until nearly 3:30am NC time.  I don't think we are going to be able to book those late flights anymore once the baby gets here.  I was so bad at taking pictures in Minnesota. Grr.

Saturday morning kicked off our busy trip with a baby shower thrown by my mom and aunts on both sides of the family.  It was very lovely and I am so lucky to have such a large, loving and close family!  They definitely make it hard to be living away.  For one of the games at the shower, I had to go through and say which physical features and characteristics I wanted to the baby to have from me vs. Tyler.  Some were pretty obvious but some were hard to pick.  When Tyler came back to my parents' house I gave him the list and asked him to do the same thing and he said exactly what I did for all of them except we each said the other's personality!



My momma and me <3

Note - no pictures with my hostesses and no pictures with my sisters :(  After the shower we had to make the long drive down to Worthington for Tyler's cousin's wedding.  Unfortunately, we didn't know about the wedding when we made all our other plans so we drove five plus hours round trip to be there for the dinner and beginning of the dance.  It is always great to see all the Yahnke extended family though!

Sunday morning I went up to the cities for a small shower with my law school friends. Again, HORRIBLE with pictures.  They had such a cute set up and it was so great to have the time to catch up with these girls.  When I got back to New Prague, my immediate family Christmas gathering had already began.  We had such a great day/night with them.  I love my family, love that my sisters are my best friends and love that our husbands (and husband to-be) and our brother are just as close!  My parents spoiled us with amazing food - shrimp scampi, crab legs, venison steak, twice baked potatoes, etc - and way too many gifts.  Such a fun year to get to watch our niece open her presents and interact with everyone.  Tyler and I couldn't get enough of her and we are so anxious for her to come out here and visit us at the end of March!  Danielle and Aaron didn't work on Monday so we stayed up way too late with them but we had so much fun!



She liked all her gifts!



 How adorable is this little family ;)


 Sisters



Luckily my mom always remembers to take a family picture.

 Our growing fam - first Christmas with Ev, new baby in March, wedding in June and another wedding in April 2016!

The girls
 
Monday morning we tried to sleep in a little before Tyler and I went and met his dad, cousin and her husband for lunch in Carver.  His cousin was in town from CA so it was nice to be able to see her again.  Monday night we met up with Tyler's mom and drove to Mankato to get dinner with the Olson extended family.  Tyler's grandma was so incredible generous and treated everyone to dinner.  We don't see this family enough so it was so great that so many of them could make it so last minute! 



Olson cousins

By Tuesday I was soooo tired and luckily had the morning to sleep in, work out and relax a little.  After getting ready we headed back up to the cities to check out the new Surly brewery.  Tyler is obsessed with Surly.  Danielle and Aaron joined us and we met up with Tyler's brothers and mom, some of Tyler's high school friends, and a dental school friend.  It was so much easier to tell everyone where we were going to be and have them all meet up with us vs. us having to drive all over to see everyone.  We ended the night back at Danielle and Aaron's apartment for a few more drinks for the boys.  I'm so glad we really prioritized spending time with family this trip because otherwise it goes too fast and we just miss them like crazy.

Christmas Eve we were able to relax in the morning again and wrap the rest of our presents for everyone.  We went to my grandma Busch's house for dinner and then to the night mass at St. Wenceslaus Church.  My dad sings in the adult choir and they are so good.  I always look forward to this mass every year. 


Christmas day - We went to my aunt and uncle's house for the Solheid family Christmas for lunch and then back to my grandma Busch's for the Busch side Christmas at dinner.  We love our big extended families.  Always so great to see everyone and fun gift exchanges.
 

With Grandma Rose
 


Love these two

Seriously can't get enough of this girl. Thank goodness for facetime. I wish I could see her every week.


Friday morning my mom and sisters and I went over to my aunt Tami's house for brunch.  This has been a tradition for years and I am so glad that we continue to keep it up even though the holidays get so crazy.  After, Tyler and I made our way up to St. Louis Park for Christmas with the immediate Yahnke family.  We had a delicious dinner and had so much fun playing games into the night.  We always laugh so much with our Yahnke family.  Tyler loves it because he has to work so hard to make me laugh and his family just thinks he is hilarious ;) Again, no pictures :(


Saturday morning I had my last baby shower of the trip with high school and college friends.  Amber Megan and Sara did an amazing job with hosting!  It was so great to see everyone and catch up with everyone but there is never enough time!  Tyler spent the day back at the brewery with my dad and brother, his dad and some more friends. Sadly, we had to start our packing after I got home.  That night, Tyler and I headed back over to Amber and Scott's house to visit a little before meeting up with some other friends for dinner and drinks.

Due 3 days apart!

My high school besties and fabulous hostesses
 
College friends and sophomore year roomies!

Auntie Kacie is already spoiling baby Y with clothes!


Sunday - my parents hosted my family again for a lunch before taking us to the airport.  Goodbyes are so hard but thank goodness our baby is going to be here soon because then most of our family will be coming out to see us!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment