Saturday, October 25, 2014

Grandmas Take on NC

A couple weekends ago, parents and grandmas arrived in North Carolina for a visit.  As soon as we knew we were moving here my mom started talking about making a trip to visit us with the grandmas and this fall was the perfect time.  We had the most beautiful weather.  Every day except one was sunny and in the 80s!  I am loving North Carolina's extended summer.  Their flight arrived Thursday afternoon.  My parents decided to rent a vehicle that could hold all of us so we wouldn't have to drive multiple cars everywhere.  They met me at a restaurant by the back gate for some drinks and food before we went and met Tyler for a base tour.  I think my grandmas both really enjoyed seeing a military base.  Fun fact: The town we live in used to have an army base during the war and my grandma thinks that my grandpa was stationed here - she needs to double check but we thought that was pretty cool.

After the tour, we drove down the island so my grandmas could see all the beach houses and then went back to our house so everyone could get settled in.  We wanted to stay closer for dinner the first night since Tyler had to work in the morning so we went to the Beach Shop Grill on Topsail Island for dinner.  Tyler and I had been there for lunch a few months ago and loved the place.  Everyone ordered seafood (which pretty much happened the entire trip) and enjoyed their meals.

Friday morning I went on a walk with my parents to show them the loop I normally run around the neighborhoods around our house.  We also introduced my grandmas to green smoothies in the morning.  I think they were hooked.  We went to lunch at Daddy Macs so we could enjoy the day and ocean view.


Love my grandmas <3


We left my grandmas on the restaurant patio and went on a little beach walk.

34 years and going strong! 

Afterwards we stopped by some shops, stopped by my work and ran to the grocery store to stock up on way too many snacks and sweets!  We met Tyler back at our house, had some drinks and freshened up before going out to dinner by the marina.  We decided to dress up a little for dinner this night to celebrate my parents' 34th wedding anniversary.  I have been wanting to try Bridge Tender and it definitely did not disappoint.  The food was SO amazing.  We all passed our food back and forth so we could try each others and the boys finished everyone else's plates (except mine of course, I finished that on my own :) 

Dadio


When we got back to the house we started the nightly tradition of playing cards - 3-13 - our family favorite.  

My grandma bought pumpkin pretzels for her card group the following week but she had to go back and buy some more because we ate them all! 


Saturday was a full day in Wilmington. We had lunch at the Copper Penny, checked out the old cotton exchange shops and walked the riverfront. 


We took a boat tour with Wilmington Water Ways of the Cape Fear River. 




Good views (and info) of the battleship 


86 degrees and sunny October weather calls for ice cream breaks

Next we went on a horse drawn carriage tour around the old neighborhoods of Wilmington.  It was very cool to see all the old houses.  We weren't quite hungry for dinner yet so we made a stop at Greenfield Lake to show my grandmas the cypress trees.

Watching the hundreds of turtles below


We didn't see any alligators but joked that we just needed to out run one of the grandmas if we did ;)

Another meal on the water

We went to dinner at Oceanic on Wrightsville beach.  I had amazing crab cakes and my grandma had the best fried shrimp I think I have ever tasted.

Sunday morning my parents and I went on a beach run/walk, we all went to church, made brunch, and then went back to the beach. Sunday was the only day that was a little cooler (70s) and after our busy Sat. in the heat, I think it was welcomed by all.  Everyone enjoyed watching Tyler stand up paddle board and surf the waves.  He must have being trying to impress his audience because he caught more waves than he usually does when its only me watching!


After we made our way back to Wilmington to tour the Bellamy mansion.


My grandma had mentioned wanting to see if we could get in one of the old churches so Tyler took us all to the Basilica Shrine of St. Mary.  We had gone to church here before and knew my family would love the inside.  We happened to luck out because the bishop from Raleigh was in town.  He and the priest informed us of the history of the church and then the bishop gave my parents a blessing for their wedding anniversary.




Our last night dinner was spent at Elijah's on the riverfront - the first restaurant I went to in Wilmington and still one of my favorites.



We made the most of our last night staying up extra late to play some extra games of cards. Tyler still says "I wish your parents and grandmas were still here so we could play another game of cards." 

Monday morning was spent on our back patio.


My parents and I went on a final beach walk.

Then back to the beach for everyone.  It was HOT again on Monday but my grandmas were comfortable in the shade. 




Since my grandma thinks this is probably her last trip to an ocean, she made sure to dip her feet in the water before we left!


Then it was back to our house for packing, more cards, grilling out, and sad goodbyes :(  We still miss them.  I don't think we could ever get sick of spending time with my family.  We always have such a great time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment