Saturday, July 13, 2013

When are we coming home?

In a perfect world, we could fly back to Minnesota for every major event and not miss much.  But in reality, that is never going to happen.  We moved to North Carolina.  We are going to miss A LOT.  We are going to miss bachelor/bachelorette parties, showers, weddings, babies, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, family vacations, reunions, hunting trips, and other events.  

"When are you coming home?" is a question we have gotten non-stop since we first found out we were moving.  Between family and friends, Tyler and I are missing 8 weddings in 2013 and already have multiple 2014 weddings on our calendar.  Although we are so excited for every couple and would love to be there, the reality is, we need to pick and choose what we can and can't make it back for. 

Another reality: We just moved to NC, bought our first house (and all the costs that come with it), just took/are taking very expensive professional certification exams, and need I remind myself, I quit my job (and Tyler has yet to receive a paycheck). 

So how do we decide?  Family always comes first, holidays are important, weddings that we are in are a must, and a lot depends on timing, work flexibility, and flight prices.  

We decided attending Tyler's cousin's wedding in California was our top priority as far as the 2013 weddings go.  First, Ashley is the same age as Tyler and is one of his closest cousins.  Second, we have not taken a family vacation with Tyler's dad and brothers since a ski trip in 2008.  And lastly, we LOVE the Yahnke family and since they are all spread out in different states, we don't get to see them often.  And who doesn't want to go to a wedding in Laguna Beach?!  

I just booked our flights so we are good to go.  Being that Tyler is new at his job, he is just going for a long weekend...BUT I get to stay a full week (being that I am unemployed).  My father-in-law and his siblings rented a house right on the beach. 

This is the view from the deck of the house that we are staying at.

My father-in-law also suggested that I look at one way flights instead of a round trip and stop in Minneapolis.  At first I thought this was never going to happen since we do not have a lot of extra money laying around.  However, I booked my flight with our credit card points and after some flight searching realized I could book three one-way flights for the same amount of points as a round trip.  So, I will also be stopping in Minneapolis Thursday - Tuesday!  


It just so happens that during that time, I will get to see friends in Minneapolis, go tubing down Zumbro river with my family AND see college and high school friends while celebrating and Joe and Cassie's wedding!  So to answer everyone's question, my first trip home with be in less than a month! :)  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment