Sunday, August 25, 2013

Preview of Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill


I took my final test between me and my NC license last weekend.  My test was in Raleigh Sat. morning so Tyler and I drove down Friday night and tried to make a weekend out of it.  Thankfully, this test was only 2 hours long.  Saturday was not the best weather but we made the most of the rainy weather.  


Tyler picked me up after my test and we headed to the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill where we walked around the campus and grabbed lunch on Franklin street.



Franklin street had a bunch of cute shops and restaurants.






This guy was soooo ready for me to be done studying.  I think he was more excited than I was.






We are excited to return for some Tar Heels Basketball!

Next we made our way to Duke in Durham.  I had no idea how beautiful this campus was.  They had gorgeous gardens that were free to the public.



 The Duke Chapel








Every building on campus was brick.  Tyler wants his future children to go here - ha only if they get a scholarship - Duke's current tuition is $60k a year!




Exploring the gardens and trying to get an idea for plants that we can grow around our house.





















We were both exhausted after getting up early for my test and walking around all day.  Note to self: wear better shoes next time!  We went back to the hotel and relaxed for a little and then made our way back out for our first southern BBQ experience.




And it was delicious.  Even hush puppies (even though I still don't know what those are).

Sunday morning, we explored downtown Raleigh and the museums.  Raleigh is so cute.  There are tons of fun restaurants with outdoor seating.  Even on a Sunday there were a lot of people out and about.  


 My Navy dentist - Lieutenant Yahnke


 Who works on a Marine base








I loved the "history of North Carolina" exhibit.  There is so much history in North Carolina and it is great to learn about it from a new perspective.  Fun facts: 1) NC was the first colony to officially ask for their independence from England; 2) It was NC who insisted that the Constitution have a statement of rights to protect individual liberties; and 3) NC was the last colony to ratify the Constitution, only after the Bill of Rights was under development.




Tyler loved the museum of natural sciences.  He was like a kid in a candy shop running around reading about all the plants and animals.  This guy loves his science.




When we were walking around, we walked past a restaurant that had a huge line outside.  We looked it up and read some really good reviews and decided to go back for a late lunch.




This place is known for their chicken and waffles.  We each tried a local NC brew and split a chicken and waffles (with honey) and chicken pot pie.  It past our test.  NC loves their fried chicken ;)





When we ordered the chicken pot pie, our waiter brought us a spork! haha 



A great end to a good weekend.  We can't wait for all of our NC adventures to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment