Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Washington, D.C. 2015


Tyler and I made our first trip to DC together almost two years ago and were anxious to get back there so Tyler planned to attend a continuing education course at the end of October. We drove up on Saturday and met some of our friends that were also in town for dinner in Alexandria. We arrived a little early so we had time to explore the town - it is so cute. We loved walking the streets.


Sunday we met up with more friends who also happened to be there for most of the week.  Lucky us! It was a gorgeous day so we met at Union Station and walked the National Mall, exploring all the sites.

Mer's first metro ride





This little one and the backpack we hauled around got really heavy after all that walking. 




















We finished the night with dinner at District Tacos. It was delicious!



Tyler started his course on Monday so Meredith and I began our daily routine of breakfast in the hotel, a nap for Meredith while I read my books, a walk to meet Tyler for lunch, a stop at the park, back to the hotel for a nap, and then played in the hotel room until Tyler was done so we could go out for the evening. Monday night we went to downtown Bethesda and walked around. Again - adorable little town. We stopped at DC Cupcakes to grab some dessert for later and then went to The Mussel Bar for dinner. This place came highly recommended and we loved it.  I didn't think I liked mussels but they were SO GOOD. (disclaimer: Tyler has since ordered mussels at another restaurant and I couldn't eat them).





Tuesday night we grabbed dinner at a burger place and then met back up with Sara and Jasper to do a sunset bus tour. This was a fun tour to see all the attractions at night and to also hear all the history and stories from the driver.




Wednesday was rainy and after I was soaked and Meredith also got a little wet from our walk to meet Tyler for lunch, we decided to drive to dinner.  On Thursday Meredith and I planned to go back downtown to DC to tour the Capitol.  Of course the one time I was brave enough to take on the metro with Meredith alone, the elevator was out!  This was also the only day I brought the stroller with me because I didn't think I could carry Meredith and the backpack around all day long.  So I had no choice but to fold up the BOB stroller and carry it, Meredith and her diaper bag down the longest escalator ever.  Then I opened the stroller to get to the metro gate, where the handicap entry was not working.  Thankfully a man offered to lift the stroller over for me and a nice lady helped me get down the second escalator.  Oofta.




Meredith was a trooper during the tour.  Tyler met up with us after and we went back to a favorite from our last trip, the District Chophouse, for dinner.  I spent Friday morning packing so when Tyler got done with his course we could load up and get on the road.  Unfortunately, what is normally a 6 hour drive with traffic ended up being closer to 10 :(  We were in stop and go traffic for 4 hours!  Apparently there was a crazy amount of accidents that we were following.  Poor Meredith had a rough time at the end but the worst part was that my friend, Alicia, flew in to visit us for the weekend and we were so late to pick her up!  She took a taxi to a restaurant and sat and read her book for hours.  Hopefully the rest of her trip made up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment